2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Friday, March 16, 2012

Improving teaching through setting clear expectations

In order to be effective teachers we have to give our students clear expectations. The best teachers I have observed are very prepared and use several techniques to invite their students to participate and learn. These techniques can be used with children of all ages in sharing time, singing time, and in the classroom.

1. Before beginning a lesson state the objective. Students need to know what they will be learning about. This might go something like this... "I am excited to be here today. We are going to learn about how prophets teach us to choose the right."

2. Next, give students clear expectations for behavior. Children will meet our ideals if they know how to meet our expectations. This might go something like this...

"I have a lot of fun things planned for our lesson. To start we are going to play a game, but in order for us to have a lot of fun you guys are going to have to help me out. I am going to call on the boys and girls that are listening and sitting quietly. When I think you are getting too loud, or you aren't listening, I am going to say, "If you can hear me touch your elbow. If you can hear me touch your knee. If you can hear me touch your nose." Practice it once before starting the lesson. (This works like a charm in Junior Primary. Try it!! You may have another technique that works, the point is to get them listening before moving on. Especially when you are about to testify of a gospel principle.)

With older children you may hold up the scout sign or some other reminder, but they will quiet down when you stand there long enough. If students are getting out of their seats tell them you will call on them as soon as they are sitting down and then be sure to call on them.

If you want students to raise their hands to be called on to answer questions then say, "I will only call on students with their hands raised." Say, "Please do not blurt out answers it ruins the lesson for everyone."

You could also try having students tell someone sitting next to them what they think the answer is and then count to three and call on someone with a raised hand to get the answer out. Say, "Quietly tell someone next to you who the living prophet is today and when you are finished raise your hand, if you think you know his name." This gives everyone in the group a chance to participate. You could also say, "Give me a thumbs up if you think President Monson is our prophet."

3. Last, at a point in each lesson testify of some gospel point. Testimony brings the spirit every time.

I know if you try to incorporate some of these things they will work for you. You will be blessed with the spirit in your primary and that the children will meet your behavior expectations. You will get better at these techniques the more you practice them. You are all doing amazing things in primary. We appreciate the heart and soul you put into each primary child. They are blessed to have such wonderful people on their side. These are Heavenly Fathers children and he loves you for your efforts.

Sister McClellan
Second Counselor
Arlington Stake Primary

No comments:

Post a Comment