2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Seek to Understand Those You Teach


Seek to understand those you teach.  As you do, you will be better able to teach lessons that meet individual needs.  Reach out to each individual in your class, remembering that “the worth of souls is great in the sight of God” (D&C 18:10)

            I remember as a young Sunbeam teacher, I had a challenging boy in my class.  I had read the teaching hints in the lesson book and even asked my mom for advice. I was told to just “love the children”.  So, I set out to find something that I could love about him.  I didn't love the way he ran around the room and screamed.  I didn't love the way he hopped from chair to chair.  I didn't love the way he scribbled on other’s papers.  I didn't love how he hid under my skirt.  I didn't love how he threw all of my pictures and notes around the room. I didn't love how he would volunteer to say prayer and then when all the children had their arms folded he start to sing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” at the top of his lungs.  I did eventually focus on his eyes.  He had beautiful blue eyes with a lively spark in them.   Every time I wanted to scream, I just looked into his blue eyes and thought “you have beautiful eyes”.  Soon, I found that he had an impish grin that made me smile too and little by little I was able to see into his heart.  By the end of the year, he was sitting in his chair, coloring only his papers and saying prayer.  The best part was he always gave me a hug and told me he loved me before he left to go back to his parents.  At the time, I didn't realize that this boy was really the one serving me and taught me how to love even when it was really hard to do so.

Elise Simbeck
Arlington Stake Primary
Second Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment