2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Monday, August 12, 2013

Reverence is an Expression of Love

This weeks thought comes from the recent primary auxiliary training. Sister Wixom of the General Primary Presidency said that reverence is an expression of love and respect for the Savior Jesus Christ and we need to teach the children the "why" of reverence. We need to share with the children that when they are reverent it invites the Spirit into primary and that it helps their testimony to grow.
In order to teach children how to be reverent as a primary you need to set expectations. Start with simple rules especially in junior primary. Two rules are perfect. One could be we try our best to sing all the songs in primary and another could be to raise your hand each time you want to speak. Have a signal that each child will understand. Maybe hold your hand over your heart and tell the children this is a reminder that you love Jesus and that Jesus loves you. When we love someone we try to be our best for them so, when I put my hand on my heart I want you to be your best for Heavenly Father and Jesus. When I give you this signal that means I need to tell you something really important and I need you to be so, so, so quiet. You could also try holding a picture of Jesus and say the same thing.
If you keep primary centered on the Savior reverence will come at the moments you need it most. In D&C 68:6 it says, "Be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me even Jesus Christ that I am the son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come." I know if you try to teach as the Savior you will see a difference. It takes time, there is a learning curve, but the children will meet your expectations and they will learn to love and respect Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ because of your example.

Autumn McClellan
Arlington Stake Primary President

No comments:

Post a Comment