2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Friday, February 8, 2013

Importance of Music Leaders

This one is for the Music Leaders!!

For the past month as I have subbed in various classes in our area and have watched many interactions between the boys and girls, a familiar phrase from my childhood has kept popping into my head, "Kindness begins with me".  When children are being mean to one another throughout the day my first response to them is, "Kindness begins with you".  I then go on to tell them if you want others to be nice to you then you have to try extra hard to be nice to them.  I don't know if it helps, but I know it gets them thinking.  Where did I get this phrase?  Primary!  You bet, a song I learned as a child..."I want to be kind to everyone for that is right you see, so I say to myself remember this, kindness begins with me."

Your job as the music leader is so important.  In the Handbook 2 in section11.2.4 it says, "The melodies, words, and messages of Primary songs can teach children the doctrines of the gospel that stay in their hearts throughout their lives.  Music in Primary should invite reverence, teach the gospel, and help children feel the influence of the Holy Ghost and the joy that comes through singing."  It also mentions giving children opportunities to move and stretch appropriately.  

One of the ways I feel the Holy Ghost most often is through music.  I know the children do too.  I appreciate you music leaders that stop once in awhile to testify of the gospel doctrines in the music you are teaching.  I love the music leader that stops to point out when they are feeling the Holy Ghost as the children sing, so the children can recognize that special feeling also.  There is a power when children sing.  Teachers encourage your students to sing.  I have seen many teachers supporting the music leader by giving a thumbs up to kids that are singing.  Putting a hand to their ear meaning, I can't hear you singing.  These little gestures do tremendous gains for keeping a reverent learning environment in primary.  

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your calling.  Maybe one of the kids in your primary will need to recall a phrase from a primary song someday.  Sometimes it is the little things that make all the difference in the world.  Keep on singing!!

www.weeklyteachingmoments.blogspot.com
(Please feel free to forward this message to all your leaders and teachers in primary each week)

Autumn McClellan
First Counselor
Arlington Stake Primary

No comments:

Post a Comment