2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What "To Do"



Here are two powerful teaching tools that take a lot of practice.

Focus on what is happening that is positive:

For example, instead of telling Johnny that he can’t run around the room, tell Jane that you love the way she is sitting reverently. 

Instead of saying, “I can’t hear Sister Yancey’s class singing” say “I like how sister Smith’s class was singing beautifully!”

Instead of correcting, “don’t shout out the answer!” try ”I love the way that Steven is raising a quiet hand.”

Instead of telling a child what they cannot do, focus the child on what they Can Do:

Instead of saying “Don’t hit Sammy” you could say, “Please keep your hands to yourself.”

Instead of “Don’t run on the grass!” use “Please keep your feet in the wood bark.”

“I am going to choose someone who is sitting quietly in their chair.”


This positively reinforced behavior (focusing on the positive that is happening and what Can be done) is much more powerful and effective than the alternative.

The Savior said, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” His words are gracious, encouraging, uplifting, and positive as He builds each of us and helps us reach our true potential.

I just love to visit you and your primaries and see the wonderful and positive things that are being taught!

Tanya Yancey
Arlington Stake Primary President
http://weeklyteachingmoments.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment