2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ready to do the Work

If you have time, watch this video first! https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/primary-auxiliary-training/2013/04&vid=2321593491001?lang=eng
As I watched this video, I was reminded of when I was released from my calling as Activity Days Leader. My Activity Day girls were sad (that surprised me!). They made me cards and wrote beautiful thank you notes. I read all of their notes and cried. I didn’t realize how much I had meant to them and I didn’t realize how much I had come to love them. But, the most surprising thing was that they all said their most favorite activity was the Kids Kloset Service Project we did.
What made that event most memorable? What was different about that activity compared to all of the others activities? Well, the only difference was that they had planned and carried out the service project themselves.
I lead and guided them in looking around our community to see if they could find a need. We created a list of things that needed attention in our community and then brainstormed possible solutions. The girls each had an assignment to call the different places in the community like the food bank, Kids Kloset and Noah animal shelter to see what we could do to help. They reported back and we discussed and decided on one of the service projects to act on.
The girls worked with the volunteers to arrange our service time. They did it all just with a little guidance. They said they liked that activity was their favorite because they got to be so involved in it.
Sis. Nicole said in this video, “I was surprised at how capable they were and how courageous and prepared they already were to do the work. The lord had already done the work in their hearts and they were ready. All that they needed from us as leaders was an invitation and an opportunity to move forward with the feelings that they already had.”
All of our Activity Day girls are capable and willing! They are full of great ideas and thoughts. Our guidance can help them gain confidence and leadership all preparing for their future roles. Never underestimate these amazing girls!!

Elise Simbeck
Arlington Stake Primary First Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment