2015 Primary Theme

2015 Primary Theme: I Know My Savior Lives

“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth” ( Job 19:25).

Monday, August 25, 2014

Excited to Learn


Yesterday afternoon as I finished up my yard work and went into the house to fix dinner, I reminded my children to get their church clothes and shoes ready for Sunday.  My 13 year old daughter insisted it was only Friday.  As she and I discussed what day of the week it really was, my younger boys quickly started to make plans for their extra "Saturday". I ended the discussion by going to the computer to prove that it really was Saturday.  They admitted defeat and got their clothes ready for Sunday.
 
This morning as I woke up and realized it was indeed Sunday, I was so very happy.  I thought about my children's disappointment when they realized it would be Sunday and not Saturday.  How could anyone not be excited for Sunday?  I took a minute to see if I could find a scripture that would describe or explain what I was feeling.  Here's what I found:
"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."  Psalm 118: 24
 
Sunday is a day of learning and worship.  Doctrine and Covenants 19: 23 reads "Learn of me, and listen to my words."  Our homes, church and the temple are places that we learn of Him.  We have DVDs, scriptures, LDS.org and more.  We are blessed to have so many opportunities for learning around us!   I suddenly became excited for all our children!  They will get to learn at school soon and as they are learn at school, they also will be preparing themselves to become better scholars of the gospel!  This might be a good time to remind the children and parents that as they prepare for back to school, they can include some discussion of Doctrine and Covenants 88:118 and perhaps sign off  Developing Talents #6.  They could also complete Preparing the for the Priesthood  or Young Women #4 in their Faith in God book!
 
Thanks,
Elise Simbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment